I appreciate any new ideas! Please contact me at kjdetty@umail.iu.edu

4/10/11

EDUCATIONAL RESOURCE 1: Podcasting

For the podcast emerging technology I chose to use gabcast.com. Gabcast is a podcasting (audioblogging) website that provides an easy way to create and share audio content. Most current users use cellular telephones to make recordings but the site also provides access through VoIP (voice over internet protocol). VoIP is an easy to use voice duplicating and/or voice-messaging application on a telephone that is transported via Internet rather than through telephone service. Once users have created a recording of their own and published it, a newsfeed is automatically updated to alert subscribers to their channel (just like followers of a blog).

Gabcast makes expression via internet much easier. It enables users to embed a flash audio player into their personal or corporate websites/blogs and communicate with their friends, family, colleagues, customers, etc. Outside of the corporate world, people may record greetings, report news, conduct interviews, voice their political opinions/use it as part of a political campaign, and even describe an item for sale on Ebay. Most importantly, if there is ever bad weather or an event the prevents classes from meeting, teachers/professors may post assignments and/or lectures to this site. This is a great tool in many ways!

When I began using my Gabcast, it was slightly confusing. Some directory tabs on the site are a little hard to follow. Only right before users call to make their recordings does the site explain that it only provides 5 minutes of free recording time. Any minutes used after that must be paid for. This was a little annoying to find out because I had already planned what I was going to record. When posting, users may not upload an audio file of their own, they must use a touch-tone phone to call an "international virtual number" which is provided. Once the number is called users are prompted with an easy guide on how to record and post their creations. Within seconds, recordings are uploaded to the internet and easily accessed. The site provides a copy and paste box to embed a player straight to a blog. This is how I posted mine. Overall, Gabcast was pretty user-friendly. As of right now, I don't know how often I would use Gabcast, but I definitely see how it could be helpful to teachers, professors, and businesses.

I chose to record myself reading a children's book titled "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame.
Below you may play my cast:

Gabcast! W200 #1




Tips and suggestions:
1. Don't give personal information out!
2. Don't blab about nonsense. Lots of users have themselves talking about nothing on their channels.